Home Equity Loans Make a Comeback, but Not for Me

Tuesday 22 September 2015

 After being underwater on my mortgage for several years, the last thing I wanted to do after building up equity in my house was go out and get a home equity line of credit. According to a recent article by Bloomberg, rising property values are fueling a home equity loan comeback. The demand for Helocs declined for six years, probably because a lot of people had zero or negative equity in their homes. The lending for Helocs rose 30 percent this year and is expected to rise another 31 percent to $104 billion.

Saving for higher taxes

Some people are taking out home equity loans because the values of their homes have bone up. Experts say housing prices went up about 8 percent this year. However, I am thinking about the higher property tax bills that come with increased home values. I don't want to be stuck paying back a Heloc in addition to owing more property taxes. I based my savings on the highest amount of property taxes we paid during the housing bubble. As long as I have the difference between the higher property taxes and our current property taxes in savings, I know I'll be able to weather the imminent hike in my mortgage payment.

Boosting the economy

I know that the economy gets a big boost when people spend more money. However, I can still be a consumer without getting into debt. I don't like the idea of having to sell my home in order to pay off my Heloc in an emergency situation. I'd rather pay down my mortgage so the other thing I have to worry about is the taxes and insurance. It seems to me that taking out a Heloc would put me in a shaky financial situation when the economy is already uncertain.

Tapping equity to buy stuff

I would rather maintain a more minimalist lifestyle than tap my home equity. Even though the value of our home has not completely recovered, a Realtor told me homes such as mine are being appraised at about $150,000. Since we owe about $100,000, we could potentially use our equity for various purchases. According to the Bloomberg article, from 2013 to 2014, a lot of Americans used their home equity to purchase everything from cars and televisions to cruises as well as home renovations and repairs. My husband and I would rather keep saving money in a home maintenance fund. Once our home is paid off, we will have plenty of extra money for renovations as well as vacations.

Even though I don't intend to obtain a Heloc, I believe the statistics that show many people are using Helocs, especially for home renovations. I can see some wisdom in investing in home-improvement retailers. It's becoming evident Americans are back to spending. Since many banks require people to take out a minimum of $10,000 or $25,000 for a Heloc, many people almost feel motivated to spend rather than save. To me, it's a vicious cycle that ends in a debt trap. I'm surprised that Americans aren't more cautious about their homes after the major housing crisis.